Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Running the planet

Running is one of those sports that you can take anywhere. Which is great because I do travel a bit. I make it a point to run everywhere I go. What a great way to experience the world.  I've picked up a few things along the way that are helpful and other things that are just plain fun:

Buenos Aries, Argentina:  Running in South America is amazing. Period. I usually run in the morning before things get started. In Argentina, this just means that I'm up before MY group gets started… but there is a whole world of people that are up at 5:00 am like it’s the middle of the day. Taxi drivers standing around, bread makers filling the streets with warm smells of fresh pastries, it's invigorating.  I ran out on a narrow fishing  pier that extends 1/2 mile out into ocean.  When I reached the end I stopped and looked out for a while, thinking : "the next piece of land out there is the south pole".  I've had similar experiences in Mexico City and Panama. If you never make it there, the Cuban section of Miami will get a good South American buzz going.

Sao Paulo, Brazil: This was a bad idea. Don’t do it. Stay alive instead.

Mumbai, India: Do not attempt to run anywhere in Mumbai without a GPS. You may find yourself saying: " if I just go East, I'll eventually reach the ocean".  India is a life changing experience.  If you want to see life at its most vibrant, get out of the hotel, the meetings, the restaurants, and go see life where it happens. Fortunately, in India, that is in every nook and cranny of the city. As far as big cities go, it is relatively safe due to the huge impact peaceful religion has on 99% of the population.  It's impossible to describe so I'll do it this way: Imagine running. You're smelling spices that you've never smelled before. You're seeing colors that you've never seen before. You see buildings that are more ornate than anything you've ever seen in styles that you can't imagine. The whole time you're dodging traffic, children playing, sleeping animals, and religious processions.  Don’t expect a good run, don’t bother timing yourself, but expect an experience that you'll never forget.


Athens, Greece: Sorry, it's impossible to run in Athens. If you do, then you're neglecting more important things in life like wasting away on the islands.  I tried twice but was to distracted by looming 3000 year old structures on mountains everywhere around me.  The only way it was possible for me to get any mileage in was the hotel gym without distractions.

Next: Rome. This May I will be in Italy a month before Grandmas Marathon in Duluth. I'm mapping out 13-15 miles through the ancient city. Given my past experience, I fear that I'll get distracted. I look at it this way: If running can get my butt out of bed and get me deep into the subculture of a city enough for me to get distracted be something I wouldn’t have otherwise experienced… Isn't that the point?

1 comment:

  1. What an incredible trip! Now when I go around the world, I will know where if I want to run, not to go. I guess sightseeing in other countries is all there really is to do. I hope you are able to take more trips!

    I love seeing photos of when you run. Take more!!

    ReplyDelete